Tuesday 26 May 2009

Mad Scientist Me... Part I

Muahahahahahahahahahah! I decided if I've got three (four) little plants in Jars, why not chose one to attempt to grow in a hydroponic system? and while I'm at it, why not make it a home grown hydroponic system?

So, armed with a little bit of knowledge that I pulled from a .pdf file from the Guide to Setting up Your Own Edible Roof Garden, I have now set about getting the materials.

I thought to myself, 'well, how much could these hydroponic systems cost?' The answer, quite the pretty penny. So step one was to see if I can purchase the materials below the cost of a system. The average 2 pot Drip Irrigation System I saw on the web was priced between £60.00 and £130. So my budget should be, for one plant should be between £30 and £65.

I will base myself on the design from the .pdf file, which is in effect, a Ventura Action Drip System.

I have so far purchased all the materials minus the buckets and the rigid pipe that goes in the middle. Cost so far: £25 (this is including delivery, as I ordered them online).

So we shall see by the end of the week if this is a 'sound investment'.

No comments:

Post a Comment