Saturday 21 March 2009

The White Habanero

Since the last time I posted, I have now made some changes to the plants. But I'll post those new photos later.

I have realised that, while I have been talking incessantly about life and its many intricate 'intricacies', and I have als
o been posting about my adventures in chilli growing, I have not properly introduced you to the wonderful little capsicums that I am attempting to grow.

So, from time to time, I will write a little bit about them, using the information I can gather from the Internet and f
rom whatever I end up discovering along the way!


First up, for no particular reason, is the White Habanero (the spicy 'honky' Habanero amidst the 'flava' of Habaneros).

I picked up this photo above from https://www.pimentas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6039, from a 'forumite' called '
pypcak ' (Let it not be said I do not give props when it's due). I looked up a bit of information on this little Capsicum chinense form Azienda Agraria Sperimentale Stuard in Parma (Italy), and their helpful catalog mentioned the following 'technical' data:

-30-35cm in height
-50-60cm in width
-'late' in its precociousness (Italians...always thinking about that)
-Highly pungent (spicy) fruit, smaller than the typical Habanero.
-Plant is sensitive to drops in temperature (not frost tolerant).
-Fruit is 3-3.5cm by 1-1.5cm.

thechileman.org says this is a really spicy number.

From personal experience (very limited though this is) it is one little number to get to germinate. Took forever for the seeds to sprout, and even after they germinated, they are by far some of the smallest seedlings in the lot. Still, if mine look half as good as the one on the picture, then I am really looking forward to this one.

Apparently they are really good small plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment