Monday 6 April 2009

Whatever happened to 'Please'?

I dislike the 'I' generation with a passion. It promotes the self to a new level of narcissism, and disconnects it from the realities of life.

Yes, the realities of life.

'But Aji Chombo, the Internet has connected millions. Brought them together as one! So much has changed for the good of humanity in the last 50 years!'

U-huh. And in this modern day we have more wars and more countries than ever before bickering at one another, while people simply disconnect from everything.

Because we've chosen to lift the individual above the collective, which in a positive way has allowed us to voice concerns which had previously gone silent, but more and more nowadays it's used as an excuse for anyone with a chip of their shoulder to whinge, whinge, whinge.

I'm just going through a morning rant, s'all (whinge, whinge, whinge)

The 'I'-pod...

...'I'-phone

...'Personal' computer

...'Personal' planner (PDA)

Heck, even the single meals are all designed to promote 'individual' independence (sure, marketed as 'interdependence') rather than help bring about a notion of community.

But then again, community doesn't sell, does it (not unless you market it as your 'personal' slice of the community).

Are we that selfish? (well, I could always argue the rampant proliferation of 'sexy' toys in recent years as another log in the fireplace for this argument. But I digress...)

'I' guess with so many 'I' devices, there really is no need to be mindful of the 'other', is there?

We're just a collection of 'I's...

No comments:

Post a Comment