Sunday 22 February 2009

The Kitchen Windowsill Dream

It is said that everytime you have to make a decision, whichever choice you do not make creates a parallel reality where you do chose that option (should I pass gas in front of my boss or not? the choice could make me CEO in one reality, uncomfortably bloated and full of gas in another). Well, I'm sure in a parallel reality Almapaprika and I have a farm and do nothing more than 'farm stuff'.

Well, these are the photos of the Kitchen windowsill at the old house we used to share with Chiltepin and Chilipiquin:

Yep, a beautiful windowsill with lovely chillies. And this was when they were still immature! When summer kicked in, it was impossible to see out of the window! There were four chilli plants (on the left box. They were probably Cayenne, but I couldn't tell), and four Sweet Pepper plants (on the right). It was my first foray into planting here, and I got the season completely wrong. I sowed the seeds sometime in November 2006 (If you are an experienced gardener and have just read this, please, take a deep breath). I was looking at a set of loaded chilli plants by the second week of april 2007. APRIL!

Well, the results were quite impressive for a first timer, though I have to admit, not having the experience of 'seasoned' chilliheads (was that a pun? Almapaprika will probably tell me 'no, silly sausage!') meant the chillies did lack spicyness when I tried them. I think I probably did not feed them the right nutrients (I was using baby-bio), and it was a very, VERY wet summer (and the silly man that I am, I took my prize plants out of the kitchen and into the garden. The chillies had an infestation of red spider mites and aphids on them, so I decided mother nature would be good at dealing with them. The red spider mites vanished, and the aphids were controlled, but the slugs were EVERYWHERE!!!).

Capsicums, according to some, like moist but not soggy conditions. And anyone in the UK in summer 2007 will attest to it being even more miserable than the average English summer.

It was a decent 50-50 first attempt at growing capsicums.

But it did give me the 'itch' to plant in the future (which sets up the next blog quite nicely)...







No comments:

Post a Comment